Do your teens struggle to understand the impact of excessive screen time?
Are your frustrated about the impact Social Media is having on your children? We can help.
As parents and adults it is important that we empower our children and teenagers to utilise technology as a tool for growth and learning.
It enables them to access a vast array of educational resources, connect with others globally, and develop valuable skills relevant to the digital age. Furthermore, effective coaching helps teenagers become more self-aware, reflective, and intentional in their technology use, enhancing their ability to make informed decisions and avoid potential pitfalls.
As we know however, this is easier said than done!
In today’s digital age, where smartphones and screens have become an integral part of teenagers’ lives, coaching them to be effective when using these devices is of utmost importance. Teenagers often spend a significant amount of time on their phones and engaging with screens, making it crucial to guide them in developing healthy habits and responsible usage. This coaching serves as a proactive measure to ensure they reap the benefits of technology while minimizing the potential risks.
One of the primary needs for coaching teenagers in this aspect is to teach them time management skills. Excessive screen time can lead to a lack of productivity, diminished focus, and decreased academic performance. By coaching teenagers on effective phone and screen usage, they can learn to allocate their time wisely, strike a balance between their digital activities and other aspects of their lives, and develop healthy routines.
Excessive use of screens has been associated with various health issues such as eye strain, disrupted sleep patterns, and sedentary behaviour.
By educating teenagers about the risks and teaching them strategies to mitigate these risks, they can maintain a healthier relationship with technology and prioritize their overall well-being.
Additionally, coaching teenagers in this area can help foster responsible digital citizenship. They need guidance on privacy, online safety, and ethical behaviour to navigate the vast online world responsibly. By instilling values like respect, empathy, and critical thinking, teenagers can develop a better understanding of appropriate online behaviour, protecting themselves and others from potential harm.
Coaching teenagers to be effective when using their phones and managing their screen time is crucial in the modern world. It equips them with essential skills, promotes digital well-being, and cultivates responsible digital citizenship. By striking a balance between technology and other aspects of life, teenagers can harness the benefits of digital connectivity while mitigating the risks associated with excessive screen time.
Maddy Riddle is a legend in her own lunchbox! Maddy is employed in the digital media sector and has had her own learning through screen time usage challenges growing up in Brisbane. Maddy now lives in Melbourne working for …
Through this experience growing up during the recent growth of phone and screen usagfe along with herwork in this industry, Maddy has seen many…
She also spend time working with students through facilitating with yLead, volunteering as a pyjama angel and coaching school sports teams, allowing my passion for youth development and opportunities to grow.
Ipsom, shitsom, flotsum and jetsom…. XXXXXX
The CoachStation coaching and mentoring program aims to guide teenagers in developing a healthy and responsible relationship with digital media, social media, and screen time. By addressing the concerns of both teenagers and parents, we provide actionable strategies and focus areas to improve teenagers’ understanding and usage of these platforms while satisfying parents’ expectations for responsible and balanced screen time.
Key Points of Action and Focus:
1. Digital Literacy and Critical Thinking:
– Teach teenagers how to evaluate the credibility of online sources and differentiate between reliable information and misinformation.
– Develop critical thinking skills to analyse and question the content they encounter on digital platforms.
– Promote media literacy to help teenagers become discerning consumers of digital media.
2. Time Management and Prioritisation:
– Educate teenagers about the importance of time management and how excessive screen time can impact their overall well-being.
– Help them set realistic goals and create a schedule that includes designated time for homework, physical activity, hobbies, and social interactions.
– Provide strategies for avoiding distractions and staying focused during screen time sessions.
3. Responsible Social Media Usage:
– Educate teenagers on the potential risks and consequences of inappropriate online behavior, cyberbullying, and sharing personal information.
– Promote the concept of a digital footprint and the long-term implications of online actions.
– Teach them about privacy settings, security measures, and the importance of maintaining a positive online reputation.
4. Digital Well-being and Self-Care:
– Educate teenagers about the physical and mental health risks associated with excessive screen time, such as eye strain, poor posture, and disrupted sleep patterns.
– Encourage regular breaks, physical activity, and offline hobbies to maintain a healthy balance.
– Teach stress-management techniques and the importance of disconnecting from screens to promote overall well-being.
5. Parental Involvement and Communication:
– Engage parents in the coaching process, providing them with resources and workshops to enhance their understanding of digital media and screen time issues.
– Foster open lines of communication between teenagers and their parents to discuss concerns, set boundaries, and establish mutual agreements regarding screen time usage.
– Provide parents with guidelines and suggestions to monitor and manage their teenagers’ digital activities in a supportive and constructive manner.
Through participation in our Empowering Teens: Digital Media and Screen Time Coaching Program, teenagers will develop the necessary skills, knowledge, and strategies to navigate the digital world responsibly. They will become critical thinkers, effective time managers, and responsible users of digital media and social platforms.
Simultaneously, parents will be assured that their teenagers are equipped to handle screen time in a balanced and responsible manner, promoting their overall well-being and digital citizenship. Together, we can empower teenagers to make informed choices and maximize the benefits of digital technology while mitigating the risks.
Program Content and Details
The coaching session runs for 1 1/4 hours and covers…
For the first 45 minutes, we encourage parents to be involved as…
For the second 30 minutes, it is great to have the opportunity to work 1:1 with your teen, as this provides…
We also provide group sessions…
Each session costs $100 (+GST) for an individual participant, with an additional $25/attendee up to a total of 3 at a time.
We request that payment is made prior to your coaching and mentoring session, which can be made through various methods based on your preference.